Thursday, January 12, 2012

does Michael Gove read my blog?

Followers of my blog will hopefully remember the post I made back in October ( http://g7nbp.blogspot.com/2011/10/ict-is-not-cs.html ) Where I commented on the failures of the UKs current ICT curriculum to inspire children in the field of computing.

Yesterday Michael Gove called the current ICT curriculum "demotivating and dull". He will begin a consultation next week on the new computing curriculum.
He said this would create young people "able to work at the forefront of technological change".

He went on to say "Instead of children bored out of their minds being taught how to use Word or Excel by bored teachers, we could have 11-year-olds able to write simple 2D computer animations,"

(source :  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-16493929 )

This is brilliant news indeed - if schools are able to back it up with good quality teaching. Sadly, in my experience a number of schools fail to teach even the existing curriculm particularly well and would require significant help with teaching a more technology rich version.

I shall continue to watch progress in this area with interest, especially as I am currently putting together a technology learning package aimed at 11-16 year olds based around a lot of the technology now being advocated as the future of ICT.

Watch this space...

No comments:

Post a Comment